Saturday 12 May 2012

A dry day at last!!!

I've been so rubbish at keeping this blog this year! :-( I've still been planting stuff.... It's been so horrible for weeks though. And then of course there was my wedding! But finally we have a dry day and we've been able to spend some time at the allotment :-)

The potatoes we planted a few weeks back are finally starting to peek through. I did wonder whether they would survive living in the swimming pool they were in when I visited them last week!


And just to show you the potato patch before it turns into a weed patch like the rest of my allotment....!


This is supposed to be my onion patch....


Look! There are definitely onions in there somewhere!


My other onion patch is even worse:


We planted the last of them today - this is what the rest of it should look like:


Weeding will have to wait for another day though.... Too much to do!

We covered the top section of the plot so hopefully we'll be able to use this section next year....


We put up the netting for the peas and planted our first lot out. I've got three lots of peas on the go at different stages of development so hopefully we'll have a decent supply of these later in the year....


I've planted a few varieties of carrots, spring onions and lettuce in my raised beds, leaving some room for more in a few weeks.....


And an overall view of the plot.... I really need another few dry days so I can get on top of those weeds. Otherwise I'm not going to have any room for my runner beans! Or sweetcorn... Or pumpkins and courgettes.... Or broccoli.... Oh dear! I'd better get a move on!


I'll show you some of the new additions to the garden at home in the next few days. I'm quite excited! :-)

Love 'n' hugs,

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous to see your plot - I must go and look at mine tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't leave those onions too long. I've done that in the past and then it is so difficult to weed without damaging the onions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you're still down at the allotment, bet you could spend all day every day down there and still find something to do! We're trying onions and peas for the first time this year. Our spuds (all 6 plants!) are doing really well in the wee grow bags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mel,
    So are you going to blog again next year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've moved my veggie patch into the back garden now - the rent increases at the allotment put a severe dent into the finances I'd rather be spending on seeds and compost :-) I'll get some piccies posted on here when I get round to it so you can see the progress we're making there :-) xx

    ReplyDelete