Sunday 16 October 2011

A well overdue update....

Hiya!

Sorry I've not been around much - busy, busy, busy! I just wanted to share some piccies with you of the stuff I've been bringing back from the allotment....  I'm afraid these piccies are now about a month old!

A mountain of runner beans, half way though their preparation for the freezer.....


I cut them up and froze them in family dinner sized portions......


My bean structure on the right, my dodgy (but effective!) broccoli cage at the back on the left, a patch of bare earth where I'd dug up some potatoes and the dying tops of my potato plants still to be dug up....


My biggest onion - I was sooo proud! I grew my onions from seed this time, but I'm thinking I'll try sets next.....


My pumpkins... the one in a little more sunlight starting to turn orange and the larger, greener one that gets hidden by the broccoli cage....


Some of the millions of potatoes my kids helped me to dig up..... These are King Edwards - yummy! Might try some other varieties though next year. Just to compare....


And even more runner beans I picked a few days later! I've given loads away and still have loads in the freezer :-) Definitely doing these again next year....


Right, I'm off - busy cooking Sunday dinner..... Roasted King Edwards and runner beans with our roast chicken today - what else!?! :-)

Love 'n' hugs,

4 comments:

  1. It's hard to appreciate just how rewarding it is to grow your own food (or what hard work it is) unless you are another allotmenteer. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics, great veg! I froze 10lb of runner beans and 2 marrows (cut up). We ate all of the courgettes and they were still producing when I went to Wales, along with my peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and pumpkins. Unfortunately DH stopped watering and picking so when I got back everything was shrivelled or dead! Oh, I forgot, he picked the pumpkins - they were smaller than tennis balls, lol! I have to say I've enjoyed it though and it's all your fault. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've loads of beans in the freezer to - to make up for the lack of peas and sweetcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh Mel you've had some fabulous veggies from your allotment, bet it all tasted gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete